Been wanting to get away from the normal routine at home, and at last managed to proceed with the idea two days ago.  For the first time, we landed ourselves in a place that is not associated with home or families — Nah, we didn’t fly to KL, decided to go Damai Puri instead (formerly known as Damai Lagoon). The rate is RM253 (nett), slightly higher than the normal rates that I usually pay but what the heck, we don’t always get to do this…

Let me start with our supposedly short journey.  It took us almost one hour longer, thanks to the massive traffic jam at Satok.  The reason for the jam?  One Kancil owner had the cheek to ram his/her car into a police patrol car and the scene occupied one lane of Satok bridge.  In fact, we were moving so damn slow that Iris had the chance to “take over” the wheel for about half an hour without the common “ehh.. Iris….! JANGAN!” from her daddy.


Co-pilot turning pilot...

The moment we inched away from the accident scene, we zoomed towards our destination located at Santubong.  As we pass through the familiar route, I then realized that Semariang has changed so much.  New commercial centres are now occupying what used to be vacant lands, and I had a glimpse of the single storey semi-D that I had to let go several years back at Kuching Family Park.  If only I still hold that property, I’d be nuts having to travel THAT kind of distance to work daily.  Betul-betul gila.

Before arriving at the hotel, we were “detoured”  because none of us could recall the route to the hotel.  Fortunately we managed to find the right exit and 20 minutes later, we arrived at the hotel.  The whole journey took about 2 hours.  We were given a room with a sea view (only that the closer view was a rock formation and some chalets).


The rock formation just outside our room

We didn’t waste much time, as it was almost 3pm and the rain finally stopped.  It was drizzling the whole day. Made Iris change into her swimsuit and introduced her to the pool.  Damai Puri has a very good water park that is divided into two sections (darn! I didn’t take any picture!) and we started with the deeper one, which measures at an adult’s waist deep.  Iris loved the water, didn’t have trouble going into the water albeit the slightly cold weather caused by the drizzle.  The pictures explain her maiden experience in the pool.  After 30 minutes, her small body was shivering and we had to wrap her with a towel.  Even after her warm bath, she was still chattering and for the first time ever, she snuggled up to me to get warm.  Poor kid!


"See? Daddy got me these..."


Daddy: Iris, wear this floats... Iris: No! No!


She had a splendid time. Hehe.


Another happy moment with daddy.


"Bye bye pool..."

After bath and a short rest (and my little girl refused to sleep), we proceeded to the beach. By then, Iris already got the idea of what “walk walk” is all about. I removed her shoes so that she gets the feeling of what walking on the sand is like, or how excited it is to be hit by the incoming waves. I like the beach, I like waves and it is no surprise that my daughter loves them too.


Daddy's girl...


She is going all out when hitting the waves...


One of the two pictures with mummy.

We have no regrets coming here and surely we are coming back again. The vacation would have been perfect if the management of Damai Puri took extra account to ensure that the pillows and towels are odorless – the towels contain heavy bleach smell and the pillows/case are not entirely dry therefore they project one kind of unpleasant odor.  However the housekeeping department were quick in making the change after one phone call.  That night, we retired early and had a really good rest.


"Good nite, people...."

At the back of my head, I aimed to let Iris play in the pool before we head home.  Must make good use of the facility and the money we invested, said I.  Hehe.   The weather on Sunday morning was nice and warm.  After breakfast, we headed to the pool one last time before we bid the hotel and the friendly staff “sayonara”.  This time, she was not shivering as the heat immediately took over the chill.  We stayed more than one hour and my girl had a marvelous time running around the ankle-deep pool and socializing at the same time.  And as anticipated, a long wailed followed as her daddy carried her away from the pool while mummy tailed behind.

I didn’t take long to pack.  By 10am, we were making our way to the counter when Iris was mesmerized by a school of Koi.  Stopped there for a while to let her play with the “pish”.



One hour later, we left the hotel compound feeling content, happy, tired, satisfied and hoping to come back again.  I don’t know what is on this little girl’s mind but I am sure she is happy as long as mummy and daddy are around.